Are you confused about what supplements to take during cold and flu season to stimulate your immune system and potentially prevent respiratory infections?
- Some strains of probiotics have proven effective for preventing colds and symptoms of the cold in children and adults.
- There are a number of herbal medications that may be helpful for short periods of time in certain populations.
- Zinc and vitamin D may be especially helpful in people who are deficient in these nutrients.
- Even some essential fatty acids that are distant relatives to fish oils may benefit the immune system.
- Additionally fish oils themselves may help decrease asthma symptoms in adults and prevent childhood asthma if taken during pregnancy.
Denise M. Kearney, MD, MS